Saturday 20 June 2009

INTONATION IN ENGLISH

I am glad to upload my lecture on Intonation, considered by most of the language teachers as something hard to teach and learn. While I don`t completely disagree with it , I equally feel that most of the language teachers ( at least in the countries where English has the status of Second or Foreign Language) make it very puzzling for the students by making a simple generalization that Intonation cannot be learnt.
What I have tried to do here is to confront these approaches head-on by making a case that intonation, like another element of ELT can be taught quite easily.
The present lecture is part of a two hour lecture on Intonation delivered to the students of the Advanced level proficiency course in English, a part time course offered by The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad.
My lecture focuses on the difference between what we say and how we say. Making this a starting point brings out the importance of Intonation to the semantic value of a sentence,
apart from content words.
Although the quality of the video is not that good, I hope it is of help to all ESL/EFL learners. I have included the slides also, those I used in the class room. Together, I hope, it should guide you to a good understanding of the topic.
I thank EFL-University, Hyderabad for making this possible.
You can also download a better quality video by following the links bellow:
Comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Bilal A. Shah

1 comment:

  1. Great Bilal!!! the sound quality is not very good and you have apologised for that in the irst place, but you are, as you are, simply facinating.

    Please upload the otherparts aswell.

    ReplyDelete